Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How does Symbiotic Diaphragm sound ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question How does Symbiotic Diaphragm sound ?

    I installed a symbiotic diaphragm (because I had one on hand) in an A7 for center channel in a cinema to replace a blown aluminum diaphragm . I haven't EQ'd this channel yet but I thought the sibilence sounded a bit strange.

    Is the symbiotic suitable for commercial HI FI to 12k hz or should I use only aluminum ?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: How does Symbiotic Diaphragm sound ?

    Somewhere deep in the archives here, there is a discussion where i believe it was said that HF extension was intentionally "voiced" out of the Symbiotik phragms.

    I'm surprised that more discussion doesn't take place about using symbiotik equipped drivers for midrange in 3 way systems.

    To answer your question based on my opinion only, in a 2 way system for "hifi" use all aluminum phragms only.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How does Symbiotic Diaphragm sound ?

    I bought the symbiotic 808 8-a? way back in the early 70's, maybe 1971 or 72.

    Back then, I don't think there was that great of an uproar about such matters as today comparing the 802d and its successors. Now mind you, I still have the 802s, but to switch over is more than a 3 hour job for me, and its real easy in that time frame to lose the qualitative evaluation your'e trying to make.

    Also, the RTA graph I put on Flickr some time ago shows rapid rolloff above 10khz which is itself down several db from 2khz. Flickr: gvasale's Photostream


    Now, do I still like my Altecs? Of course. Are there any other transducers that I also think are "worthy?" Yes to that too. I was really impressed back then with six KLH 9 panels (could't afford them) the KLH SCX 3 (if I've got the model right) and Koss esp 9 headphones.

    One more thing. Even though I had (have) what some may consider to be a fair turntable Panasonic sp 10 (before the Technics rename) with a Rabco Sl 8e and a choice of a Shure Supertrack or Pickering 1200 cartiridge/s, a lot of lps back then were really awful, from many labels. It wasn't until the mid 80's that I got my first CD player. What a difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.